The role at a glance
We are looking for another exceptional practitioner in the field of experience design to join our creative studio. You will be responsible for delivering world-class digital solutions for our globally recognised clients.
You can spot a misaligned pixel from 500 yards and crack jokes about typography. You live and breathe all things design and don’t settle for anything less than perfect. You have a strong command of typography, motion and interaction design and can communicate the underlying principles and theories to those around you.
You will work alongside leaders in the UX design field in a supportive environment where you will be able to thrive and grow, as well as mentor and manage more junior practitioners. Our Principal Designers are encouraged to share their experiences and methods with peers in and outside the business.
Role and responsibilities
As a practitioner
- Delivering design concepts and solutions to meet the needs of the business and its intended audience, in an exceptionally high degree of fidelity and detail.
- Shape, evangelise and espouse Foolproof’s design philosophy and practice, internally and externally.
- Help influence a culture of constructive critique within the studio.
- Presenting creative thinking to clients, with an emphasis on design execution and its relevance to customer-centred design.
- Identifying and communicating objectives for each project you work on, to ensure we achieve the win/win for our clients and their customers.
- Proactively share project progress for review by the Creative Director.
- Support the costing and planning activity of design deliverables, report on their status to the programme management team and notify them of any risks.
- Support the wider sales team by identifying business opportunities, leading pitches, and generating ideas and suggestions for prospective work.
As a manager and mentor
- Line management of various team members; setting and measuring their performance during appraisals and throughout the year.
- Organising regular meetings with your direct reports to discuss and assess their work.
- Providing recommendations for promotion, salary reviews and bonuses within your team to line management when necessary.
- Sharing project stories and experiences with the wider business, providing critique and direction to your peers and team members.
- Contribute to company blog posts, social media, white papers, as well as attending or speaking at industry conferences.
- Challenging yourself and others to think creatively and improving the standard of our work by making recommendations for training and development.
- Lead by example and uphold the company’s leadership values at all times.
- A creative, inquisitive mindset.
- An insistence on following human-centred design principles.
- Excellent diplomacy and communication skills.
- Fastidious attention to detail.
- An entrepreneurial spirit.
- Collaborative, whilst taking responsibility for your work.
- Minimum of six years delivering design solutions for high profile digital products or services, preferably agency but client side will be considered.
- Strong aesthetic sensibilities as well as the ability to articulate, rationalise and document visual directions.
- Excellent problem-solving skills and familiarity with technical constraints and limitations as they apply to designing for platforms such as desktop and mobile, Android and iOS.
- Technical expertise in industry-standard design visualisation software (for example Figma, Sketch, Adobe etc.)
- Technical expertise in industry-standard prototyping software (for example Principle, Framer, Origami etc.)
- A deep understanding of motion design and how it’s applied to interaction and user interface design to reduce perceived latency and improve clarity of communication.
- Undertaking of primary and secondary research, as a core part of your design process, particularly RITE.
- Pitching and winning new business accounts.
- Experience successfully mentoring and line-managing senior level (and below) designers for at least two years.
- Leading cross-disciplinary design and front-end development teams, preferably at a programmatic level.
- Recognised degree-level qualifications in graphic, experience or digital design, and HCI.
We put a lot of time and energy into making Foolproof the best place it can be for our people. We give our team the support they need to develop personally and professionally in a collaborative culture that emphasises learning. We offer competitive salaries and a range of benefits including:
- Regular salary reviews.
- Annual bonus and profit share schemes.
- 25 days holiday which increases with service plus the option to buy and sell leave.
- Departmental training budgets for learning and development.
- Quarterly away days including a Team Trip abroad.
- Long service awards and enhancement to our standard benefits.
- Company pension scheme.
- Private healthcare.
- Life insurance.
- Cycle to work scheme.
Currently we are all working remotely but, eventually, this role will be partially based in either our London or Norwich office with working from home where possible and working on client site as required.