The role at a glance
We are looking for another exceptional practitioner in the field of service design to join our creative studio. You will be responsible for helping organisations identify opportunities and deliver compelling, evidence-based, human-centred services.
You have a passion for understanding users as well as client organisations and thrive in complex environments. You believe that great end-to-end customer experiences need to be useful and usable, but that their success heavily depends on the back-stage elements that enable them. You have a strong command of human-centred design and involve the human perspective in all steps of the problem-solving process. You have experience of working with and advising senior leaders.
You will work alongside leaders in the experience design field in a supportive environment where you will be able to thrive and grow, as well as mentor and manage more junior practitioners. Our Senior Service Designers are encouraged to share their experiences and methods with peers in and outside the business.
Role and responsibilities
As a practitioner
- Working from a customer perspective; understanding or envisioning a full end to end service, including how the service operates across digital and non-digital channels.
- Managing stakeholders; influencing and shaping stakeholders’ objectives. Working with senior leaders to support a future vision and priorities for a service transformation or new service development.
- Vision; big picture thinking. Working backwards from an ideal future scenario.
- Problem framing; starting with ‘why’. Understanding the outcomes, and goals for a service, the types of customers and actors (i.e. staff) and their needs.
- Qualitative research; using observations and feedback to learn why things are happening or not happening.
- Synthesis; turning research insights into opportunities and ideas for how things could work.
- Assumptions mapping; capturing assumptions and defining testable hypotheses. Working with UX designers to create working prototypes.
- Prioritisation of work to deliver iterative customer value.
- Integrate efforts across teams into coherent user journeys — connecting all actors responsible for delivering the service.
- Facilitation and co-creation; coming up with solutions that will work across channels, departments and roles.
- Continuous service improvement; challenging how things work and identifying further opportunities for service improvement across all parts of a service inclusive of: systems, processes and end-user experience. Creating and reusing consistent service patterns to support how a service functions and can operate more effectively.
- Designing service blueprints (as-is and to-be states); end-to-end inclusive of the customer experience, but also the activities of the behind-the-scenes staff and systems that deliver the service; taking into account things that happen before and after the primary experience, looking at upstream causes and downstream effects.
- Organisational change; overseeing and enabling the change required to deliver a new or improved service.
- Shape, evangelise and espouse Foolproof’s design philosophy and practice, internally and externally.
- Support the costing and planning activity of projects, report on the status of such deliverables to the programme management team and notify them of any risks.
- Support the wider sales team by identifying business opportunities, leading pitches, and generating ideas and suggestions for prospective work.
As a manager and mentor
- Line management of various team members; setting and measuring their performance during appraisals and throughout the year.
- Organising regular meetings with your direct reports to discuss and assess their work.
- Providing recommendations for promotion, salary reviews and bonuses within your team to your line manager when necessary.
- Sharing project stories and experiences with the wider business, providing critique and direction to your peers and team members.
- Contribute to company blog posts, social media, white papers, as well as attending or speaking at industry conferences.
- Challenging yourself and others to think creatively and improving the standard of our work by making recommendations for training and development.
- Lead by example and uphold the company’s leadership values at all times.
- A creative, inquisitive mindset.
- An insistence on following human-centred design principles.
- Excellent diplomacy and communication skills.
- Fastidious attention to detail.
- An entrepreneurial spirit.
- Collaborative, whilst taking responsibility for your work.
- Experienced in the field of service design with solid industry experience.
- Have extensive experience of working strategically on end-to-end services that exist to fulfil customer goals.
- Have solid experience of making design processes work effectively, influencing working practices and culture to support this.
- Have experience of planning, conducting and communicating user research as part of a human-centres design process.
- Have experience of explaining design decisions and communicating ideas in a way that other people understand.
- Demonstrating senior client management from sales, and project kick off through to service delivery.
- Have experience of working in an agile environment; working in complex environments, both with teams and senior stakeholders.
- Have experience facilitating workshops and leading meetings. Have proven ability to collaborate successfully with cross-functional peers and teams to develop concepts and services.
- Have experience of coaching others; both through your individual performance and how you influence others in group settings.
- Have transitioned from doer to leader, understanding the broader business and customer context for your work.
- Have mature people and leadership skills.
We put a lot of time and energy into making Foolproof the best place it can be for our people. We give our team the support they need to develop personally and professionally in a collaborative culture that emphasises learning. We offer competitive salaries and a range of benefits including:
- Regular salary reviews.
- Annual bonus and profit share schemes.
- 25 days holiday which increases with service, plus the option to buy and sell leave.
- Departmental training budgets for learning and development.
- Quarterly away days including a Team Trip abroad.
- Long service awards and enhancement to our standard benefits.
- Company pension scheme.
- Private healthcare.
- Life insurance.
- Cycle to work scheme.
Currently we are all working remotely but, eventually, this role will be partially based in either our London or Norwich office with working from home where possible and working on client site as required.