The role at a glance
As a UX writer, you’ll be responsible for creating seamless, engaging content experiences throughout the customer journey. You represent the voice of the product or service and ensure our design experiences speak to customers in the most effective way.
You’ll work closely with clients to understand their brand, and our researchers to understand customer needs. You use data and analytics to understand user intent and language. You’ll bring this and your knowledge of best practice to the table and be able to work with our designers to create world-class experiences across a variety of channels and platforms.
You’ll work in a supportive environment with colleagues who’re experts in their fields – we want to see you thrive and grow.
Role and responsibilities
As a practitioner
- Create effective and engaging copy to support customer journeys across a variety of channels or platforms.
- Ensure that copy is considered from the beginning and that stakeholders are engaged through its development.
- Use best-practice techniques for developing content: covering usability and accessibility principles.
- Cover copy requirements from interface and interaction copy to guidance and FAQs: this could include calls-to-action, navigation labels, page titles, meta descriptions, form design, error text, product descriptions, legal copy, FAQs, help text.
- Work hand-in-hand with design colleagues to develop copy in context and be able to present a clear and evidenced case for your proposals.
- Work with client brand, marketing and legal teams to understand context and sign off processes for content.
- Adhere to best-practice content development workflow and be able to flex when required to deliver the best outcome.
- Create or develop style guides or tone of voice guidelines – you understand how to use them and help others understand how to reference them.
- Work with technical and business analyst colleagues to understand any technical requirements or considerations that may affect content development (for example, form validation rules or CMS limitations).
- Work on localisation and translation projects.
- Be a champion of best-practice content and UX writing within Foolproof – not just for our clients but in how we communicate as a business.
- Review work with fellow practitioners to get feedback, share success, solve problems.
- Support the costing and planning activity of UX writing deliverables, report on the status of such deliverables to the Delivery team and notify them of any risks
- Support the wider sales team by identifying business opportunities, leading pitches, and generating ideas and suggestions for prospective work.
- A creative, inquisitive mindset.
- An insistence on following human-centred design principles.
- Relentless attention to detail.
- Excellent diplomacy and communication skills.
- An entrepreneurial spirit.
- Collaborative working style, while taking responsibility for your own work.
- You have been writing and creating customer-led experiences for a few years and have some great examples to show – this might be from the web, apps, chatbots, voice UI or console.
- You can develop copy in context and have experience of working within and influencing design teams
- You can talk about your processes and outputs confidently and understand where client marketing, legal or tech will want to be involved in the work you produce.
- You have a fair understanding of SEO and know how to structure copy, create headings and write meta descriptions to help with discoverability.
- You have worked with user researchers and/or have experience of incorporating research findings or customer data into your work.
- You can prototype your content ideas and have experience working directly within design software (for example Figma, Sketch, Adobe XD, InVision).
- You have experience of working in cross-disciplinary design and front-end development teams.
- Experience with Agile methodologies.
We put a lot of time and energy into making Foolproof the best place it can be for our people. We give our team the support they need to develop personally and professionally in a collaborative culture that emphasises learning. We offer competitive salaries and a range of benefits including:
- Regular salary reviews.
- Annual bonus and profit share schemes.
- 25 days holiday which increases with service (and the option to buy and sell leave).
- Departmental training budgets for learning and development.
- Quarterly away days including a Team Trip abroad.
- Long service awards and enhancement to our standard benefits.
- Company pension scheme.
- Private healthcare.
- Life insurance.
- Cycle to work scheme.
Currently we are all working remotely but, eventually, this role will be partially based in either our London or Norwich office with working from home where possible and working on client site as required.