Foolproof is a fast-growing, forward-thinking creative company with offices in the UK, Singapore, South Africa and India.
We are leaders in the human-centred shift in design. We enjoy bringing clarity to complex problems, uncover new opportunities, and help develop design and strategies that makes the most impact. Our solutions are infused with empathy for, as well as insights into human motivations, behaviours and values. To achieve this, we work with the world’s most ambitious brands from vision and strategy across design and development to delivery to market. We also partner with our parent company Zensar to deliver human-experience at scale on digital transformation initiatives.
The role at a glance
The Head of Engineering manages all things that sit under the development and software engineering umbrella, including client pitches and delivery for front-end technologies, digital platforms and digital full-stack capabilities.
Our mission is to help people to live differently. By understanding people, we craft products and services which help them make sense of anything, giving them the confidence to make good decisions for themselves. This means the Head of Engineering takes experience strategy and the design of products and services and turns them into reality - extending our experience services with digital delivery. In this way, you act as a bridge between our experience design and development practice with our wider digital solutions and technology teams.
Role and responsibilities
- Provide a clear vision and direction for our software engineering processes, methodology and propositions.
- Drive architecture consulting/advisory services initially when partnering with clients.
- Recruit, lead and motivate our Development teams.
- Be responsible and accountable for the success of what they develop.
- Setup the right processes and structure within our Development teams.
- You will also work closely with the Client Engagement and New Business teams to help spot and shape opportunities, contribute to client pitches and create thought leadership pieces contributing to the marketing effort.
- Engage with our client’s internal stakeholders, especially their Senior Leadership team and the Product Management team to understand development priorities, using innovation and your technical know-how to deliver the best results and business value.
- Build strong relationships with external partners, clients and software vendors, etc.
- Work alongside the Digital Delivery practice as a distributed team, with a focus on providing best practice in governance, quality assurance and communications with our distributed colleagues and teams.
- Consult with clients on strategic, organisational, and operational challenges with their technology systems.
- Accountability for client satisfaction of our Experience Engineering and Software related services.
- Facilitate and problem solve (technical and non-technical).
- Drive continuous and measurable improvements across engineering, technology and development.
- Exceptional Leadership skills - managing teams, building, nurturing, growing distributed teams.
- You’re are an excellent communicator - you will work with a broad senior stakeholder group that spans multiple business functions, geographies, time zones and cultures.
- Ability to develop and maintain relationships independently up to the C-suite level in client organisations.
- Self-motivated – personal drive and enthusiasm to continually improve and readily embrace change.
- Ability to understand and harness a product engineering mindset to deliver exceptional digital outcomes.
- Must have worked for a fast-growing software house as a Chief Technology Officer or Head of Engineering.
- In-depth knowledge of Cloud Technologies.
- Knowledge and experience of emerging technologies and DevOps such as Front-end (Angular/React/Node), Core (Java Sprint boot/Microsoft), Digital Platforms (Adobe, SiteCore, Liferay), Optimisation (Optimizely, Adobe Test & Target) Microservices/API Management, Cloud (AWS/Azure).
- Have led software development teams in excess of 30 and have demonstrated scaling teams/capability significantly.
- Have led significant cultural and process changes within a technological environment.
- Have helped move a development function from customer-led solutions to a product development roadmap working in agile.
- Have led significant technology strategy and the implementation of digital transformation initiatives such as Digital Experience Platforms, eCommerce and mobile applications.
- Understanding of networking, infrastructure or systems engineering.
- Have an excellent understanding of how to build software solutions for enterprises , therefore an understanding of building in infosec.
- Excellent client-facing skills - presales, consultation and project delivery.
- Be comfortable in Architectural discussions with a Chief Digital Officer/Chief Technology Officer in our client’s organisation(s).
- Has strong commercial acumen and is able to question and challenge in commercial and contractual situations to drive opportunities for growth and revenue.
- Proven experience in writing bid documentation, delivering bid presentations and able to write bid-related documentation such as service statement of work.
- Innovative, digital native, hungry to harness new technologies - is comfortable with ambiguity and the ever-changing environment that is the digital era.
- Demonstrable experience in successfully managing complex customer relationship activities in a client services industry.
- Demonstrable ability to work within a matrix organisation.
- Ability to prioritise multiple complex tasks whilst working to tight deadlines and managing multiple stakeholder groups.
We put a lot of time and energy into making us the best place it can be for our people. We give our team the support they need to develop personally and professionally in a collaborative culture that emphasises learning. We offer competitive salaries and a range of benefits which can be detailed during the interview process.
Currently we are all working remotely but, eventually, this role will be partially based in either our London or Norwich office with working from home where possible and working on client site as required.